Saturday, May 21, 2016

Selfish Shellfish

Struggling to contribute to the development of other centered individuals, I am tempted to resort to extreme measures like taking my children to spend the night with a homeless family. As I write this I can hear several of my friends saying "why not?" Well, perhaps my own selfishness is getting in the way.

At any rate one of our family objectives is the application of Philippians 2:3 which says "Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves."

I have to admit that it is my own selfishness that drove me to create this post because I was trying to imagine where my children could meet the best marital prospects. My mind quickly turned to ministries that call for an abandonment of personal interests and comfort. And now I can hear my theologically minded friends saying "social gospel? works based salvation?". 

My question is simply this: have you observed or participated in programs that involve young people in practical ministry? What was it? Was it effective? Did it lead to the forming of the type of friendships where they would "stir up one another to love and good works" (Hebrews 10:24)? Please share your comments below!

3 comments: